CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOG LAYOUTS, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Wednesday, October 6, 2010

What is the true origin of Christmas?

After reading this post from Ashley@Putting God First and then this one from Sarah Mae@Like a Warm Cup of Coffee, I started thinking about somethings. My husband likes the part of Christmas that pertains to the birth of Christ,but he doesn't like the commercialization of it. I don't either,but I love to decorate and pull the Christmas Tree out. I have been wanting to do something different though. Not the same ol' thing. Different is born in me,it's a part of my being. It always has been. My Mother will be the first to tell you that. When everyone else was wearing the new styles,I stuck with my old ones. When everyone else was doing this,I was doing opposite. Now, that I'm a believer in Christ I want to be the different He wants me to be. Back to the Christmas subject. On Sarah Mae's post she talks about Advent Calender and the Jesse Tree. That isn't the only website for the Jesse Tree,but I liked the devotions and ornaments from that one. I really liked that idea! I thought, I will tell my husband about it and see what he thinks. I wanted to incorporate more about Jesus birth and not just about presents and we don't do the whole santa claus thing either. My husband liked the idea,but suggested we just keep our tree or get a smaller one. We both said we could keep talking about it and see what we would do. I used to be one who thought without a Christmas Tree it just didn't feel like Christmas. How naive of me. How ridiculous. I always said well it's just a family tradition that I love to do. Decorate the tree,the house,and go looks at lights. Hmm.... I think God is stirring something in me and calling me to let go of somethings.

Today I read this post from At the Well. I really liked it. I read about why Lisa and her family do not do Halloween and read some of the links. God prompted me to do a search on the origin of Christmas..... Did I want too? Sort of,but not completely. I found a few sites that I skimmed over found some pretty disturbing facts. I found one I was reading,but I haven't finished. It seems very reliable,but I haven't read it all. This is the site,ChristmasTruth.info . It hasn't got the author or anything about who is composing the information. If anyone could help me find out who it is,I would like that. It isn't just a thrown together site that's for sure,it has resources with each statement. The others I found were with denominations.

 I started thinking, I can't not do "Christmas"! What will our family think? Our friends? My husband? I'm not saying what I will do as of now. I do know that God has brought me to this for a reason. I discussed it some with my husband this morning and he said we could do some research and pray about it to see what God takes us. I have come to a place over the last year where I am ready and willing to let go of the tradition though. By that I mean, the decorating and all. It's about Christ,not a tree,or decorations. From some of the sites I have been reading the day we celebrate his birth is nowhere close to the  date some have gained from facts. It's a pagan day for the sung god. I won't go into more about all that, you can read and research it. If it is a pagan holiday that is still celebrated and it is not even remotely close to his birthday I just do not want to celebrate it on that day. I'm an all or nothing type of person. My husband will tell you that.

Is it crazy that God may be leading me not to celebrate Christmas on this day? I don't know. I don't think it is. He calls us to things that He may not call others too. I'm not writing this to condemn or judge,as my blog says it's from my heart. I have questions and I just want to do what God wants us to do,not my family,friends,or the world. Anyone have any thoughts for me? We are a very different family anyways,so this wouldn't shock anyone I don't think. They may think we are nuts,but oh well I guess. My husband and I will be researching and praying about this. Thanks for reading and for any input.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

I struggle with Christmas too. I don't think there's anything wrong or sinful about Christians that do celebrate it though, I think that is part of Christian liberty ... as long as they don't partake in the Pagan celebratory aspect of it.

Unknown said...

What I think is beautiful about the Christian faith is that it can take something that was not God-honoring and make it holy. To me it really doesn't matter what used to be celebrated around the time of year we today celebrate as Christmas. The Church has taken something and sanctified it -- made it about Christ and His incredible incarnation into human form. He shed His robe of glory and took on mortal, human flesh! How incredible. How worthy of our remembrance and joy. No we don't know the exact date when he left Mary's womb and was swaddled lovingly in that Bethlehem stable, but I don't think it really matters in order for us to properly celebrate His birth in a matter that befits a King such as Him. :) I will always celebrate Christmas on December 25 because that is the day the Church chose and so in a desire for unity with other Christians and obedience to the Church, I happily submit myself to that date.

I believe there are many different ways you can properly celebrate Christmas, as long as they are centered lovingly upon Christ. I don't think you have to have the tree or the lights or whatever else is deemed as "traditional." Those are just the outer trappings of Christmas and they vary widely from culture to culture. I think you can take anything and sanctify it, whether you do things like the Jesse Tree, the Advent calendar, or yes, even a Christmas tree. What makes it meaningful and pleasing to Christ isn't what it IS or ISN'T, but the heart behind them. A tree can be some ancient pagan idol set up by a group of people who honored it as a god and thus be displeasing to Him, or it can be a way in which a devout Christian celebrates His love of Christ, using it to remind him of the truths of the faith as he honors the Christmas season (a tree trunk could represent Christ and the branches could represent His people). It is all what you make of it...in my not so humble opinion. :)

Heather said...

Thank you for your comments,Hollie and Erika. :)

Very well put Erika! I was just writing from my heart. Sort of like a rough draft ya know? Everything you said makes sense and I still feel that way. But I also have questions and concerns. God may put them to rest after we consider to pray and research. It's just something I feel we need to do. Your prayers would be very appreciated,as well as yours Hollie.

Becky said...

Heather, thank you for stopping by at my place. I am so happy to hear that you will be joining us on our study through the Epistle to the Philippians, may His grace abound so that we may grow more like Him.

Becky.

Anonymous said...

Heather - I think you are right for researching. The Bible does warn against falling into the traditions of men (can't think of the verse off the top of my head)... since Christmas is not mentioned in the Bible it makes perfect sense to research it's origins.

Heather said...

Thank you Hollie. So far the info I have read is pretty disturbing. Why celebrate on that day if it's not close to his birth? The sites I have read so far say they estimate his birth in September. I don't know. I just still have mixed feelings. That blog post I linked from At the Well had more info if you went to Lisa's sight to read the interview with the former Wiccan ladies. Pretty wild stuff. It was pertaining to Halloween though.

Heather said...

Oh and these are the only verses I found in the KJV about tradition.

Mark 7:8
For laying aside the commandment of God, ye hold the tradition of men, as the washing of pots and cups: and many other such like things ye do.

Colossians 2:8
Beware lest any man spoil you through philosophy and vain deceit, after the tradition of men, after the rudiments of the world, and not after Christ.

A Joyful Chaos said...

Interesting thoughts. I have been hearing a lot recently about whether or not Christians should celebrate Christmas.